GEOGRAPHICAL AND SECTORIAL INTERVENTION SECTOR
Palestine and Jordan – Gender and Humanitarian Action
Ensure the quality, effectiveness and efficiency of the management of Alianza por la Solidaridad´s Middle Eastern programmes (covering Palestine and Jordan).
Alianza por la Solidaridad (ApS) office in Jerusalem, with frequent travel to Jordan.
Supervised by the desk officer covering the region and the global Women´s Rights coordinator. Supervisor of 2 expatriate staff (one in Jerusalem, another in Amman) and local support staff (finance/admin/logs).
Alianza is responding to the needs of vulnerable population in Palestine and Jordan through interventions focused on gender/protection from a multi-sectorial response involving the provision of sexual and reproductive health services, psychosocial support, legal aid, monitored referral, economic rights, emergency response activities, community mobilization and awareness raising. This shared strategy across Palestine and Jordan additionally combines strong components on advocacy and communication on women´s rights, particularly the right to live free of violence, as well as awareness, empowerment and capacity building actions. These comprehensive interventions are currently being implemented through various projects located in the Gaza Strip, West Bank, East Jerusalem, and northern areas of Jordan where Syrian refugee populations are highest. They are funded by OCHA, the Spanish Agency for International Development Cooperation, UNFPA and other Spanish donors.
The interventions are framed as a coordinated contribution to the Strategic Response Plans of the Protection Cluster in both contexts and aligned with the 2018 HRP for Palestine and JRP for Jordan. Alianza is strongly engaged with the works of the Protection cluster and GBV sub-working group, actively participating in them and in the case of Palestine, advising on key humanitarian topics.
The interim Head of Mission is expected to fulfil the following objectives and activities:
General Representation and Programmes Management
- Institutional representation in front of Donors, national institutions, partner organizations and other relevant agencies.
- Elaboration of institutional and technical documentation for both countries in relation to Alianza´s approach, methodologies, tools and strategies for the work in sexual and reproductive health (SRH), gender-based violence (GBV), right to a life free of violence, women’s political participation and economic rights.
- Carry out a quarterly technical follow-up of activities in accordance with Alianza´s formats and processes and prepare reports on technical and economic follow-up of the interventions in collaboration with the administration depts. and in accordance with Alianza´s criteria as well as donor requirements and formats.
- Supervise performance and provide guidance for expat and local Alianza staff.
- Planning and drafting (in collaboration with counterparts) of new proposals as per the different donor regulations.
- Coordinate and provide support and follow-up of field teams and activities carried out by Alianza´s staff and implementing partners, guaranteeing alignment with donor´s regulations.
- Provide advice, technical assistance and support to local partners for the implementation of methodologies, intervention strategies, learning, etc.
- Active participation in the Palestinian Cluster system, networks and platforms related to the intervention topics (Protection Cluster, GBV Sub-Working Group, initiatives related to the Standard Operational Procedures on GBV, and other coordination fora, like the AIDA Gender Subcommittee).
- When required by the programmes, supervise/carry out direct implementation of Alianza´s activities.
- Participate in the design and implementation of update/achievement reports in collaboration with partners.
- Ensure technical and financial closure of the projects and programs that end during the stated period.
- Participate in the design and implementation of project evaluations.
- Elaborate/update office budget and supervise running costs expenditure, liaising with the country´s financial controller.
- Supervise expenditure and drafting of financial statements related to the programs.
- Supervise drafting of budgets for new proposals, in collaboration with counterparts.
- Ensure compliance to national regulations in terms of tax payments for office activity and staff salaries and ensure permits required for NGOs are kept updated.
- Support the administration in the coordination and facilitation to possible audits.
Communication and Advocacy
- Maintain dialogue with institutions, community-based organisations and beneficiary populations, in the Palestinian forums.
- Interlocution with local partners in relation to institutional gender strategies in the fields of Gender Based Violence (GBV), Sexual and Reproductive Health, Right to a life free of violence, etc.
- Maintain relationships with donors.
- Active participation in networks and platforms linked to gender issues.
- Implement Alianza´s internal communication tools.
- Prepare context and situation reports when required.
- Organize, when required, meetings, events or seminars.
- Identify innovative experiences and «lessons learned» from the Alianza´s interventions.
- Promote and maintain an open and participatory teamwork culture at the office and with partners.
Capacity Building and Technical Assistance on Gender/SGBV
- Drafting/developing of ToRs, recruitment process and follow up for the external technical services needed for project implementation.
- Provide support and technical, methodological assistance to local partners.
- Support to the organization of forum, seminars and workshops for partners and other stakeholders.
- Enhance ApS and partners capacity for gender-transformative program strategies.
- Enhance organizational learning.
- Update the local partners’ profiles, including challenges, next steps and potential new partners.
Security and Code of Conduct
- Comply with and ensure application of the security regulations and standards on both countries.
- Apply and adhere to the internal regulations in Alianza´s office in Palestine, including safety regulations.
Respect ApS’s code of conduct for the office.
REQUESTED KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
- FLUENCY on WRITTEN AND SPOKEN SPANISH A MUST
- Demonstrable prior experience on heading country missions (specially in the Middle East)
- At least 5 years of experience in Gender and Humanitarian projects in international NGOs, including technical and financial reporting in accordance with donor standards.
- An advanced degree in Humanitarian Action, Gender Studies, Human Rights or other related field.
- Additional studies in gender and development, gender-based violence and humanitarian action.
- Demonstrated experience in project design, planning, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation, in particular from a gender perspective and human rights approach.
- Knowledge of the Middle East with particular emphasis on gender-related issues.
- Conflict sensitive approach.
- Previous experience in crisis-security risks contexts.
- Availability to travel between both countries.
- Both English/Spanish working command is compulsory, knowledge of Arabic is an asset.
- Process facilitation skills, negotiation, influencing skills.
- Presentation skills; strong writing and public speaking skills.
Knowledge of Spanish donor landscape an asset.
WORK CONTRACT AND CONDITIONS
- Interim deployment on 1st September 2018 until return from materninty leave, mid-February 2019 – subject to extension.
- Labor Contract under ApS´s staff category “Coordinador/a Expatriado/a”, within salary scale range of a gross annual salary between 30,000 and 34,000€.
- Estimated duration of the contract is 5 months, with a 1-month probation period.
- Based at ApS’s Jerusalem office but with regular travels to Jordan and field visits to Gaza and West Bank
- All travel costs are covered by ApS (meals, transport and accommodation, as per ApS standards).
- No accommodation in Jerusalem is provided.
EU working permit needed.
• Offers should be submitted in English or Spanish by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org indicating the reference "
• The content should include an updated CV highlighting the candidate’s suitability to the role. Further references could be requested.
• The deadline for submission of applications is 6th August 2018. Please note only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Esta web es colaborativa. La Coordinadora de Organizaciones para el Desarrollo no se hace responsable de las ofertas publicadas por las ONG socias de la red.