ChildFund Alliance (CFA) is a global network of 11 child-focus non-governmental organizations working to create opportunities for children and youth, their families and communities. CFA seeks to become a global voice with and for children, to highlight the issues children care about, and to mobilize effectively to address to their lives, safety and well-being.
In Bangladesh, CFA is present in the country since 1999 through the Spanish member of the Alliance, Educo () In Educo we defend children’s rights and promote sustainable social change by improving the living conditions of vulnerable populations, especially children. Our action is based on the Convention of the Rights of the Child. Our three institutional goals are: education, protection and governance.
ROHINGYA REFUGEE CRISES
The current Rohingya crisis saw a mass exodus of people fleeing violence in the Rakhine State since August 2017. It has reached a peak of 923,000 Rohingya refugees living in camps, informal settlements and host communities in Cox’s Bazar. There is a significant need to strength child protection and education services, especially amongst children and adolescents facing neglect, abuse, separation from caregivers and psychosocial distress.
Educo has maintained a strong presence with technical expertise in both education and child protection programing in Bangladesh. A scoping mission and needs assessment were conducted in Cox’s Bazar on October 2018 and the results contributed to the Educo & CFA’s robust response, integrating child protection and education programming for Rohingya population.
Educo & CFA are going to promote a response programme targeting Rohingya refugees in Cox’s Bazar with attention to children and adolescents. The focus of the response addresses priority gaps in Education and Child Protection. In order to promote the establishment of a response operation there Educo & CFA’s are looking for a Head of Mission.
PURPOSE OF THE JOB POSITION:
The Head of Mission (HoM) will be under the direct supervision of the Educo Programs Director at HQ. The HoM will be responsible for the strategic development of the Rohingya programme, overall administration of the mission and quality control in the implementation and monitoring of the Rohingya programme.
- The Head of Mission maintain a suitable image for Educo & CFA un Cox’s Bazar and protect Educo and CFA’s interest, image and notoriety. The HoM is responsible for the reputation management of the organization in Cox’s Bazar.
- As well, will represent Educo & CFA in its relations with local and international partners, donors, sector working groups, government, the media and different authorities in Cox’s Bazar.
- The Head of Mission establish strong and efficient network and partnership with organizations, donors and authorities, in line with the Educo partnership policy and the Educo & CFA strategy.
General management and coordination:
- Provide strategic and technical leadership in the design, development, planning budgeting, and implementation and monitoring of the Educo & CFA programme in Cox’s Bazar.
- Ensure that the Educo & CFA mission in Cox’s Bazar designs and delivers high quality, donor compliant and adequately resourced projects.
- Oversee and promote continuous improvement of programme quality standards.
- Promote the development of a resource mobilization strategy for Cox’s Bazar in line with the response programme of the mission.
Programme planning and development:
- The Head of Mission is responsible for the analysis of the humanitarian situation in Cox’s Bazar, above all, the identification of uncovered needs, launching of in-depth assessments, strategic positioning and project development.
- Identify, and where necessary, initiate and maintain program partnerships with external agencies.
- Provide guidance to thematic leaders and project managers in the design of new relevant programs.
- Ensure that Educo & CFA Cox’s Bazar implement high-quality monitoring, evaluation and learning across all projects, including that learning is captured and used in program design and implementation.
- In addition,the HoM is overall responsible for compliance in all logistics, administrative and financial elements at Cox’s Bazar level.
Human resources management:
- Provide oversight of human resource management within the mission team.
- Manage the Educo & CFA staff in Cox’s Bazar, including identification of needs for recruitment, recruitment etc. with the support of Educo Human Resources Direction. In addition, ensure their professional development.
Safety & Security:
- The Head of Mission ensure the overall responsibility of the safety & security of the Educo & CFA staff, resources and programs in Cox’s Bazar.
- Ensure the overall protection of Educo & CFA assets, equipment and data in Cox’s Bazar.
- Provide regular security context analysis and liaise with stakeholders on security preparedness.
Safeguarding and code of conduct:
- The Head of Mission is accountable for the implementation of and compliance with all aspects of the Educo global safeguarding policy and code of conduct.
- Moreover, provide overall leadership and oversight to the implementation of Cox’s Bazar level safeguarding systems and practical actions are taken to safeguarding and combating harassment, bullying and SEA.
- Advanced University Degree in development, international affairs, management, humanitarian action or similar fields.
- At least 5 years of professional experience working in development and/or humanitarian setting in a similar or comparable position, preferably with refugees and/or IDPs.
- Previous experience managing projects funded by ECHO, UN agencies, among other donors.
- Good understanding of displacement issues and related international standards/frameworks.
- Demonstrated knowledge of strategic planning, implementation, monitoring and learning processes
- Substantial NGO project management experience, including responsibility for strategy implementation, staffing, admin/finance management, contract management and donor relations.
- Experience in child protection and education will be considered advantageous.
- Experience in managing security will be considered advantageous.
- Previous experience in South Asia and /or in Bangladesh will be considered advantageous.
- Excellent communications skills in English.
- Accountability skills
- Proven leadership, management and team development skills.
- Planning and organizing skills.
- Making decision and problem-solving skills.
- Strong advocacy and negotiation skills
- Collaboration skills.
- Creativity skills for new and innovative solutions
- Ability to work under pressure in a complex /unstable situation context
- Cross-cultural comprehension
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong moral and ethical behavior and commitment to Educo’s values and principles.
CHILD SAFEGUARDING POLICY
Educo has a Child Safeguarding Policy and Code of Conduct that seeks to guarantee children’s protection. As such, we are committed to doing all necessary actions to guarantee child protection including the conduct of background checks and obtaining references for all candidates.
Location: Cox’s Bazar (Bangladesh)
Duration of contract: Fixed term contract; 1-year contract.
Starting date: as soon as possible
- Gross annual salary negotiable, depending on the candidate’s experience and competencies.
- Individual housing according to mission policy
- Coverage of transportation costs to and in the mission
- Health Insurance
- Life insurance, including repatriation.
- Visa and vaccines cost
- 23 days of paid leaves per year
- 20 rest and recovery (R&R) days per year (every 12 weeks)
All interested candidates who satisfy the requisites should send their résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org, (Meritxell Seuba) with HoM Cox_CONGDE in the subject line before 14th March. Preselected candidates can be hired before the indicated deadline.
If you do not meet all of the requisites, please abstain from sending your résumé. Only shortlisted persons will be contacted.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We encourage all qualified applicants, regardless of race, color, sex, language, religion, political or other opinions, national, ethnic or social origin, property, disability, birth or other status to apply for the post.