Action Against Hunger is an international non-governmental, private, apolitical, non-religious and non-profit organization created in 1979. Its goal is to combat hunger and dangerous situations that threaten men, women and children. Currently 500 expats and more than 5,000 employees are working for Action Against Hunger in more than forty-six countries working in projects concerning four areas of focus: nutrition, health, food security and water and sanitation.
As a member of the RAN team (ACF International), the data-scientist will lead a statistical function, to transform data into information and information into insight. This role requires gathering, cleaning, transforming, validating and modelling data with the purpose of drawing conclusions based on evidences and presenting them in reports. Working seamlessly with the existing analytical capacity in the RAN the output should underpin the RAN capacity and consequently our response operations and help Action Contre la Faim to develop a reputation for solid, appropriate and well informed humanitarian programmes.
Gather the needs from internal and external stakeholders and transform them into requirements for reporting analytics solutions.
- Manage the robust reporting analytics solutions that answer to the identified needs.
- Transform big data into KPIs and metrics using SQL, R, Python or other languages.
- Create and develop dashboards with effective data visualizations to communicate KPIs and metrics.
- Story telling skills. Effectively communicate the findings, insights and conclusions to a diverse audience from data analysts to decision makers.
- Fetches information from various sources, identifies what data is available and relevant, including internal and external data sources, leveraging new data collection processes
- Develop and implement strategies that optimize data collection and quality (i.e identify reliable data origins, tools for finding or collecting data, testing validity, and reliability of data, etc. ).
- Identify and implement statistical approaches which improve the use of existing data archives.
- Enhance data collection procedures to include further information that is relevant for building analytic systems.
- Work closely with other members of ACF staff in order to identify information needs, to cooperate to the design of information storage/retrieval process. Offer the support, as a statistician, to other ACF activities finalized to the implementation of data-driven information products and platforms.
- Identify, analyze, and interpret trends or patterns in complex data sets (both for short and long term analysis)
- Explore meaningful relationships among variables, build and validate statistical models (such as, for example, multivariate regression/multivariate multiple regression models) for planning or forecasting purposes
- Produce ongoing reports and/or timely responses to specific requests via the RAN analysts and cooperate with the RAN analysts to integrate quantitative methodologies in their analysis
- Empower the analytical capacities of staff in the organization, help with training staff to use analytical tools and supporting a culture of quantitative analysis
- Data Visualization & Communication: Describing findings or the way techniques work to audiences, both technical and non-technical
- From 2 to 4 years working experience in Business Intelligence and Analytics in academia, international organisations, NGO,.
- Technical expertise regarding data visualization, modelling, multivariate analysis, data mining and sampling. Skills in data visualization with good knowledge in applying the appropriate visual language to communicate information.
- Experience in creating metrics and KPIs and using analytic solutions to report on business performance.
- Excellent writing, editing and analytical skills and ability to communicate results and final recommendations
- Natural inclination for sharing findings and engage with the team to solve problems, helping teammates with their challenges and requesting their help when necessary.
- Written and spoken fluency in English, proficiency in French and a third language preferred.
- Knowledge and experience using statistical software languages and packages, such as R, STATA, SAS or SPSS, for modelling and analysing (large) datasets. Advanced experience programming in R, Python and Excel.
- Knowledge of database querying language like SQL, desirable. Advanced experience in data manipulation in SQL is required.
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced and often demanding environment. Solution-oriented attitude with an ability to work with minimum supervision and proactivity to reach the defined goals.
- Ability and willingness to change work practices and hours in the event of major emergencies including travelling at short notice and for extended periods of time.
- Strong business sense to put data in context and extract key insights.
- Experience working with large datasets to develop innovative reporting approaches leveraging internal and external data sources.
- Solid experience working with state of the art database systems.
- Excellent communication skills to effectively present results to a diverse audience from data analysts to decision makers.
- Desirable experience in Big Data – Hadoop, Data Science and Computing.
- Knowledge in machine learning, artificial intelligence and Cognitive systems is desirable.
- Commitment to humanitarian values
- We offer immediate incorporation to a dynamic international network with the following remuneration package:
- Work contract: Maternity interimSalary: between 25.000 € and € 30.000 € gross per year.
- Travel costs to and from the mission.
- 25 working days of paid leave per year.
- Meal vouchers.
- Applications deadline: Friday 9 June 2017