Médicos del Mundo contributes to ensuring access to quality primary health care, including sexual and reproductive health and mental health and psychosocial support, to conflict-affected population in North East Syria. Médicos del Mundo has also been contributing to COVID19 response across 3 governorates in NES.
The country coordinator leads the development of Médicos del Mundo (MdM Spain) mission and projects identified in the region, ensuring appropriateness of actions and alignment with MdM policies and strategy. He/she represents MdM in the area of intervention and is responsible for the overall management and security of the team on the ground.
GEOGRAPHICAL SCOPE OF INTERVENTION:
The successful candidate will be based in North East Syria, and/or Dohuk (Kurdistan Region Iraq) with frequent travels to NES, depending on access situation.
The candidate will report to the Complex Crisis Unit Coordinator based in MdM Spain headquarters.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSABILITIES
Strategic leadership and representation:
- Ensures that the intervention is always respectful to MdM mandate, values and internal rules; to local culture and legislation, and in line with MdM global strategy and cross-cutting approaches (human rights, gender, environmental and anthropological)
- Represents MDM in its relations with different stakeholders, including partners, various coordination platforms and authorities.
- Ensures leadership on the design, update and implementation of the mission strategy, in coordination with the field and headquarters teams.
- Oversees and coordinate the general functioning of the mission and all departments / services.
- Ensures that the mission is adequately staffed
- Ensures that information is properly and timely circulated between field offices and between headquarters and the field
- Manages, supports and advises the team, ensures professional growth through regular definition of objectives, evaluations, training and coaching, and contributes to progressively increase the leadership of national staff in key positions.
- Establishes a formal coordination system (inter-departmental meetings, etc) and ensures that this coordination system is implemented on each base.
- Ensures a safe working environment and staff wellbeing
- Proactively monitors the political, military and security situation in the project areas and update the Complex Crises Coordinator accordingly.
- Ensures that safety & security plans for each base and the mission are developed, up-to-date, known and understood by everyone (international and national staff).
- Ensures that material and personnel resources are sufficient to ensure the optimal safety of the teams, the assets and the beneficiaries.
- Ensures that in case of a security incident, the information concerning the incident is communicated, without delay, to the Complex Crises Coordinator in accordance with the existing format.
- Ensures that safety & security information is properly collected, analyzed and that alerts or important information are effectively communicated (to the Headquarters and the field).
- Coordinates the teams and ensures that programmes are properly carried out, in a timely manner and in line with MdM and donors’ standards and regulations.
- Ensures that medical and technical practices respect MDM’s procedures and formats and are in compliance with MDM’s operational framework and policy.
- Monitors needs and gaps and suggests new operations and development tracks for the mission as required.
- Ensures effective project cycle management in the mission, including a strong MEAL system.
- Ensures that there is effective representation of MDM in related technical working groups.
- Ensures high quality proposals and reports are submitted on time as required.
- Drafts, updates and negotiates MoUs with partners on the field, based on the needs and developments of the projects.
- Compiles monthly report – SitRep.
- Contributes to donor reporting related to project activities.
- Any other report requested by the Complex Crisis Unit Coordinator.
- Ensures that logistical, finance, HR and administrative practices in place follow MDM procedures and formats and are in compliance with donors’ rules and regulations.
- Ensures that the MDM’s logistical, finance, HR and administrative procedures (or those of the donor if appropriate), are fully known, respected and endorsed in the mission.
- Monitors expenditure and budget compliance on a regular basis, reports any concerns to headquarters.
- Follow contextual development in the region and prepare updates for the monthly mission SitRep,
- Update legal and operational context on a regular basis.
- Propose new ideas and modalities to improve the project activities implementation considering contextual, humanitarian and legal developments.
- To perform any additional duties requested by the Complex Crisis Unit Coordinator.
BACKGROUND AND SKILLS:
Academic background: Master degree in International Development and/or Humanitarian Aid.
Other qualifications: Project and HR Management. Coordination and communication skills. Team management.
Language requirements: High level of spoken and written English. Valuable: Arabic and/or Kurdish.
Computer requirements: Office pack user level.
- At least 5 years working in similar role.
- Previous experience in Emergencies contexts (preferable in armed conflicts) and knowledge of Middle East region.
- Demonstrable experience in Team management and Security management.
- Experience with different working modalities, including remote management preferred
- Excellent planning, management and coordination skills.
- Strong communication (written and spoken) and interpersonal skills with experience in managing a diverse team of local employees.
- Cultural awareness and adaptability.
- Good team work and networking skills.
- Strict compliance with the safety protocols established for the country and MdM mission.
- Alignment with principles and ethics of Medicos del Mundo.
From April 2021
Medicos del Mundo’s Salary charts
Esta web es colaborativa. La Coordinadora de ONGD-España no se hace responsable de las ofertas publicadas por las ONG socias de la red.